Youth Dawgs Camp Counselors are students employed within the Mississippi State University Competitive Sports Program. Counselors are expected to provide effective role modeling and guidance for Campers. Within the Department of University Recreation, Counselors assist with programming and oversight of the Youth Dawgs Summer Camp operations. Counselors should be flexible, energetic, and always carry themselves in a positive manner. Counselors will gain skills and experiences pertaining to customer service, leadership, teamwork, collaboration, and risk management.
The rate of pay is $8.50/hour with opportunities for advancement. This position offers flexible scheduling with hours worked Monday-Friday during camp weeks (June 13-17; June 20-24). Camp is based out of the Joe Frank Sanderson Center and will have activities and crafts facilitated both indoors and outdoors. Students who are degree-seeking and enrolled at Mississippi State University are eligible for this position.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Execute overall program operations including teaching instructional lessons, facilitating activities, and addressing behavioral needs of youth participants
- Provide a safe, educational, and fun experience for all youth participants
- Establish and maintain positive and appropriate relationships with youth participants, parents/guardians, and staff
- Represent the Department of Campus Recreation in a professional manner at all times
- Enforce and execute all policies and procedures set-forth by the Department
- Assist with time-sensitive decisions based on the Department’s mission, vision, and values and directions given by Head Counselors, Camp Directors or Professional Staff
- Prepare the facilities for each day of Camp, including set-up & break-down, equipment & risk management evaluation
- Attend all required meetings and trainings as scheduled
Starting Pay Rate
Leadership and advancement opportunities are available.
- Degree-Seeking and enrolled at Mississippi State University
- Ability to work Monday-Friday during Camp operations
- Capability to meet the physical requirements of the job
- First-Aid/CPR certified
- Previous Camp/Counselor experience
Competitive Sports Coordinator